Who is the Lesser Slave Watershed Council?
The Lesser Slave Watershed Council (LSWC) is a nonprofit, charitable organization whose mission is: to be a proactive organization working towards long term economic, social and environmental sustainability of the Lesser Slave watershed and its citizens. The LSWC is guided by a board of directors elected by members within the watershed.
What does the LSWC do?
- Report on the health of the Lesser watershed through State of the Watershed reports and other technical studies.
- Provide watershed management recommendations to decision makers, including the Government of Alberta, municipalities, industry and other stakeholders through the development and implementation of an integrated watershed management plan for the basin.
- Promote watershed stewardship through diverse education and outreach programs for people of all ages.
- Work with the Government of Alberta to deliver Water for Life goals.
The Lesser Slave Watershed
(Click to Enlarge Image)
Upcoming Events and News
LSWC Annual General Meeting
When: June 7th, 2018 from 1:30pm - 5:00pm, dinner to follow
Where: Elks Hall Downtown, 5211-49 Street, High Prairie, AB
- Watershed management plan highlights
- Education and outreach updates
- Tributary water quality program highlights
- Financial review
- By law review
- Board of Director elections
Free to attend by you must register! Click HERE to register via Eventbrite.
Call for Directors
If you are a member of the Lesser Slave Watershed Council and are interested in taking an active role to support our initiatives, please consider submitting your name for election to the society's Board of Directors. Currently the Board is Made up of 16 individuals.
8 positions will be open and available for election at the June 7, 2018 AGM.
8 positions are filled by incumbents until June 2019.
New directors serve for a two year term (2018-2020). We are seeking candidates for the following seats.
- Agriculture & Alternate
- Recreation and Tourism & Alternate
- Cottage owners/country residential & Alternate
- Trappers & Alternate
- Non Government Organization & Alternate
- Forestry Sector & Alternate
- Member at large alternate (one year only)
- Commercial Fishermen & Alternate *pending result of by law amendments*
If you are not a member of the LSWC please click HERE for a membership form.
If you would like to submit your name for a board position please download our Board of Director Nomination form HERE.
Forms need to be emailed back to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the LSWC office prior to June 7th, 2018.
LSWC society By Laws and Board of Director Terms of Reference can be viewed HERE
To download a copy of the proposed By Law Amendments click HERE
For more information please call the LSWC office at 780 523 9800.
New: Forest Management Plan Website
The Forest companies in the lesser Slave Region are working on their new Forest Management Plan. The Lesser Slave Lake Regional Forest Management Plan is a roadmap for forest use and sustainability in the Slave Lake region. The plan is due for submission in 2020 and approval in 2021, and will apply to the region for the following ten years. Slave Lake area forest products companies are jointly developing the plan, creating shared goals, standards, and objectives. The success of the plan and the strength of these objectives depends on public input. The companies welcome and are seeking public input into the plan. Together, we can create a sustainable, multi-purpose forest in the Slave Lake region.
Check out the website and learn more: http://www.lslrfmp.com/
Phone: (780) 523 9800
PO Box 2607
High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
@abLSWC in Twitter
©Copyright 2017 Lesser Slave Watershed Council. All Rights Reserved.